Have you ever wondered how to make paleo pancakes without using eggs? Here is the trick, flax egg and make vegan “buttermilk.” These pancakes are a bit more dense than other pancakes but trust me when I say, they are delicious. Follow the recipe below to make your own!
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup cassava flour (or tapioca/arrowroot starch will work as well)
1 tbs baking powder
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs coconut oil – melted
pinch of salt
1 cup almond milk
1 flax egg
1) First make the flax egg and the vegan buttermilk to set as side as they need to sit for a few minutes to work. Mix together 1 tbs ground flax seed and 3 tbs water, mix together and set aside. Mix together 1 cup almond milk with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and set aside for 10 min to become “buttermilk.”
2) Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl, almond flour, cassava flour, baking powder, and salt.
3) Mix together all the wet ingredients in another bowl, flax egg, buttermilk mixture you made, coconut oil, maple syrup.
4) Now add the dry to the wet ingredients and mix together. You can also put all of the ingredients into a food processor.
5) Melt coconut oil on your pan, and place the mixture (which will be a bit thicker), onto the pan. On medium heat it should be ready to flip in 3-5 min.
6) Serve with your favourite toppings, I have a homemade apricot spread and maple syrup on mine.
Enjoy! Tag me on instagram if you end up make these, I love to see all of your creations!